Saturday 11 December 2010

Projecting a Good Image

I've just been watching Have I Got News for You and it's got me thinking a bit.

For possibly the first time since Spitting Image left us, I think we can all be absolutely clear about how they would represent a current politician. I suppose we could all come up with ideas for some of the past party leaders or significant figures, but I'm not sure we'd all agree in all details.

However, I suspect that we could all picture the Spitting Image puppet of Nick Clegg. A touch of David Steel's 'in David Owen's pocket', a little 'fawning sycophant' and top up with 'public school fag'. And, I suspect that the fact that we probably all share the same image of this and that all the mickey taking we see on the telly is pretty consistent, is bad news for old Nick. It's early days, but it looks like the mud is sticking.

Of course, some of our other politicians are living up to form too. Our beloved Prime Minister would certainly have a posh toff sort of puppet, with George Osbourne a slightly more whiny version of the same thing. I suspect that Michael Gove and Boris have already been replaced by their puppets! However, none of these stereotypes are far from what we knew before the election. Nick's is a whole other ball game - I don't think there are many people saying 'I agree with Nick' any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment